Sunday, February 17, 2008

Meet Priscilla

"The Pink Pig" is an Atlanta Christmas Tradition. I realize that we are nowhere near Christmas and some of you may still have up your last year's decorations (SHAME ON YOU!!!). Regardless, I have a little girl, we love PINK, and I am currently looking at a Priscilla the Pink Pig laying on my bed at this very moment. I felt the need to blog about her. Here is some history:
The undeniable star of the attraction was the Pink Pig, a carnival ride of sorts that was a miniature monorail sized for children. Adults would be hard-pressed to fit inside the enclosed cars that the children sat in as the ride operated. The ride took children over a Christmas village outside the building that surrounded the Great Tree and once the Pig returned indoors, it "flew" over the toy department before returning to its starting point. The original pink Pig was named Priscilla. A second pig, named Percival was later added to meet the high demand to ride the pig. After completing their journey, riders got a sticker that said "I rode the Pink Pig" that became a badge of honor.
(thank you wickipedia). Oh and how that badge of honor holds true- even today!! Well, needless to say as a true Georgia Peach, I have ridden the Pink Pig every year since I was a little girl. I am sure there were some missed years, but I have just blocked those wretched days from my little head. Seeing as I HAVE to create the same heartfelt, cookie warming memories for my little sprout we have, since she was about 2, taken a spin on The Pink Pig every year. Let me tell you we have some swag to prove it!!! Did I mention I am a SUCKER for souvenirs!!! So... as a pay homage to my girl Priscilla I leave you with this. If you are ever in the ATL during the holidays between Thanksgiving and Christmas you must, no I demand that you go to Lenox Mall and ride The Pink Pig. You may feel odd, a little cramped in the tiny ride but you will leave there delighted beyond all belief that you have just participated in a true Southern Tradition- we have many!!!!
As a side note, my husband is also an avid fan of Priscilla- read about his fun here!!!

No comments: