Thursday, February 21, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!



I LOVE BASEBALL. I know. Not what you would expect. I totally understand and am not offended. I have been a long fan of theAtlanta Braves. I was born and raised in Georgia- metro Atlanta to be exact. I remember going to the games at Fulton County Stadium, tuning in on the Superstation WTBS- good ole Ted Turner, watching the likes of Niekro, Murphy and Horner. I would fall asleep in the seats and wake up during the fireworks. Oh, the days of Chief Noc-A-Homa. (Get IT!!).

Then came the free games with good grades era of Pasqual Perez. The joy and delight of the beginning of the Team of the 90's with the World Series Braves of Smoltz, Glavine, Dave Justice. Skipping school to attend the Braves Parade in downtown Atlanta. Watching the destruction of Fulton County Stadium and the opening of "The Ted" Turner Field. Are you getting the picture? This gal likes here some Bravos!!! All hail the Tomahawk Chop. Now we head into the era of the "young guns" as I call them. Francoeur, Chipper and Mark Teixeira.

But... it all begins in late February. The cracks of the bats, the cheer of the crowd and muching a ballpark dog in the warm weather. SPRING TRAINING is here!!! Last year my sweet husband FINALLY decided to take me to some spring training games for my birthday. I think he thought it would be cheaper then the season tickets i was vying for. So, in early March, we load the little sprout up, head to Champion Stadiumand catch some games! I was hooked. Then and there I told him- um, sorry but this is now my birthday tradition. He thought I was kidding! Guess what I am getting for my birthday this year- SPRING TRAINING games!



This year will be a little different. You see, as stated before, in light of what Mark does we cannot always celebrate birthdays, anniversarys, valentines day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Easter, etc, etc along with the traditional calendar. We adjust. So seeing as the first show of the Spring Tour is on my birthday!!!!!!! (NOT BITTER, NOT BITTER) we will celebrate early. On Friday the 29th I will be sitting in the seats at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex enjoying my game!!! Then later that night I will enjoy the rock of one of my favorite bands, then the next 2 days I will watch games with my daddy! He is going as my partner in crime this year as husband has to work. Sorry Hunny!!! Bring on the Braves and bring on the season-

Sorry you had to endure this but..... it's my blog I get to post what I want!!!

3 comments:

Lori said...

I have the same love for baseball. I don't think there were many 7 year old girls asking their moms for tickets to see a baseball game rather than a new Barbie. For me there are only two seasons, baseball season and not baseball season. Growing up in Houston I am a huge Astros fan. I can still picture those awful rainbow colored seats and the astroturf instead of real grass in the Astrodome. That is my childhood. I still remember watching Biggio and Bagwell in their rookie year with the team. And anyone in Houston can tell you that when you get a hotdog at a baseball game that they are called domedogs. I guess somehow that made them taste all the better. I hope you are going to that Sunday game when the Braves play the Astros. I am sure it will be a good one!

RunDrummerRun said...

That's an awesome birthday present! My wife is a HUGE cardinals fan - and has slowly converted me. We both live in Georgia too - she grew up outside St. Louis. We almost decided to go to spring training this year, but last minute things hindered that. Hopefully next year - or whenever the Braves play the Cards again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for your great blog. I just discovered it thorugh Mark's blog. I too am a Braves fan since I was 10 years old. Favorite was Dale Murphy. Now it's Jeff Francouer. I am thrilled that Tom Glavine is back where he belongs and can hopefully retire as a Brave as it should be.

I am kind of bummed that we won't be able to watch our Braves every night on TBS like the good ole days. That last broadcast was a real tear-jerker. Skip Caray kept saying "The Braves are not going anywhere! They are just not going to be on TBS anymore!". It felt like somebody died to me though. Let's just hope they turn things around this year and play real good so we can see them on national telecasts.

I had a great idea for a kind of promotion thing for Third Day. It would be a great contest were you got to go see a Braves game with Third Day in Atlanta. Boy, would that be a dream come true for me (as if meeting everybody in Orlando in February wasn't enough!). Maybe see a game during the day and fly to a show somewhere at night?