Sunday, September 14, 2008

SOUTHERN LOVE

The other day I was having lunch with my new California friend Heather. We ate at this great little restaurant "The Fickle Pickle", ironically the pickles that came with our sandwich were um shall we say, not one that a fickle person would like!! Anyway, as we were there talking and splitting our sandwiches, yes splitting. I was so happy that Heather wanted to try mine and me hers so we decided to split them. This is the making for a beautiful friendship.

Back to the story, as we ate she began talking about wanting to see South. Me, See South?? what does that mean. She said, ya know the stuff y'all (well she didn't say y'all as remember, she is from Cali. She probably said you all) the stuff that the South has that they don't see in Cali. I was intrigued. I needed some examples. I thought this would be funny. Oh, it was.... one of the things she mentioned was the "John John". (Again, she didn't know the proper term for it, but being the good Southern lady I am I quickly corrected her description - the one piece gingham outfit with a mongram type thing in the center that boys wear) yes, the John John. (Named after the outfit John F. Kennedy, Jr. wore in the famous photo of him saluting his father's coffin). I know me some trivia about a John John. Aren't you impressed. Well, I have my own opinion about this type of outfit and Heather shares the same opinion. Not wanting to offend any of our readers we are keeping it to ourselves.

So, I am driving and thinking, wow they don't have those in Cali. That really probably was a little something that probably intrigued her. So as we continue our conversation we begin talking about the North Georgia State Fair. You see, this is something I LOVE. I mean I will go and hang at the fair a few times when it is here.(I know it's redneck but hey...) I mean you can't beat winning a huge toy just by placing a quarter on a color and praying that the little mouse runs into that colored hole (you know what I'm talking about!!!) So, we decide that we are going to load up the Whittaker clan and the Lee clan and fair it up one night. (We would really love to meet the Hixson clan there if they can b/c I know the same obsession that that family has for the fair as well). As we made our final plans via email that night this is the reply I get. DIRECT QUOTE!!

Fair... We are good for the (date removed- we don't want you stalking us :) ), I am actually very excited to see me some south!

She really did, she is ready to see some south!!! I love that she calls it South. We call it other things, but to her it is seeing our culture as it is, very different from hers. But buddy, rest assured she will see some MAJOR SOUTH @ the fair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me smile... I saw the best John John at Church today and thought of you! I need to get my hands on one and fly home with my Losiah in one! Oh that would be so great!
And did you say rats at the fair? HMM
H

Stephanie said...

no heather i said a mouse, there is a difference and it is in a cage, it's a game- you will be addicted. it's like roulette but with a mouse and colors and an attendant with NO TEETH!!

Ashleigh said...

This is such a great post!! One thing that you need to take her and fam to do is the Pink Pig....preferably at Christmas but any time will do. :O) I LOVE fairs as well and it will be a great place for her to see South. And all the kids need a goldfish!

SirMax said...

I love this post! I am a Fair person too. The North Carolina State Fair is next month and there is plenty of South there too! Make sure she eats alot of South also!!! Tell us how she likes it!

Hollie said...

This weather is perfect for the fair!! Can't wait:)