Tuesday, August 19, 2008

DATE NIGHT



Last night my sweet little "big" girl asked her daddy why he was always spending time with sister and not her. After carefully explaining that he was helping out mama since he was going to be leaving tomorrow and it would give mama a little break and that he needed to spend time with both his "girls" she accepted the explanation.

As I am listening to this (via the baby monitor mind you) and my heart just breaks I have an epiphany. So when Mark came back into the room I told him since he was leaving that night he should take Abbie out to dinner and ice cream just the two of them and I would stay back and watch sister.

Abbie comes trotting in and Mark asks her if she wanted to go on a date with dada and go eat pizza and get ice cream. She is overjoyed and ecstatic!!! She tell him, "daddy, we need to change into our date clothes!!" (how totally precious). So I take her into her room and she picks out a special outfit to wear on her date with her daddy. Then she comes and picks out a shirt for Mark to wear on the special date.

My big girl is so sweet and she loves her daddy so much. I just hope and pray that she will always be so excited to go a "date" with him.

9 comments:

Valarie said...

That is too sweet!!!

Unknown said...

My eyes kinda got misty when I read this.
You guys are so sweet and it is evident that true Love is at the core of your family.

I read your post to my husband and he got all gooey too.

May the Lord poor His Love, Joy & Peace out upon you.

James said...

You have inspired this daddy to take his daughter out on dates - it's been a while since we went out just the two of us where it was not an errand run...

Blessings to you and yours - shout out to my 'little sister' for the link-age!

Hollie said...

So sweet! She is too cute:)

Anonymous said...

I love it! When we were talking about how you are with him gone, I never thought about her! So cute.
I blogged our fun lunch yesterday. :) H

Ashleigh said...

So schweet!! I think it's awesome when fathers do this with their daughters. Very special times. And I love it that Abbie wanted to change into their "date clothes". :O)

Abby said...

Hey, I followed the link from Heather's blog (the Chick-Fil-a post).

Cute picture. We have 2 daughters that love to go on dates with their daddy! Our girls totally pick out their *date clothes* and their daddy's shirts as well. I love it & I know our girls love their one on one time with their daddy!

Abby

Anonymous said...

How sweet! Tell Mark he needs to do that regularly...So Abbie and Katherine know how a man is supposed to treat a lady on a date! I know it seems a little early...btw, I just read a book called, "How to Interview Your Daughter's Date"...I'll pass it along after mine is married...

Anonymous said...

That is precious! I read in a parenting book that daughters who go on regular "dates" with their dads grow up to have higher self-esteem and are less likely to date abusive men or have sex before marriage. So keep it up! We are in the process of adopting a little girl from China, so I can't wait for my hubby to have a daughter to date.

I'll sometimes take one of my boys on a lunch date with Mommy. But they never seem to enjoy it as much as I want them to. They seem more concerned with getting home to see what their Daddy and brother are up to. :)

Jen in TX