Monday, August 04, 2008

Third Day on the 3rd Day

Technically I missed it by one day but hey... who's counting.

This month I want to jump on board and talk about "Revelation". This has got to be hands down the absolute best album this group of guys has EVER put out. I feel I can freely say this. I have lived with these songs A LONG TIME!!! The recording process takes time. In November I was in a studio listening to this stuff. Some of it for the first time, some of it I had heard OVER and OVER and OVER again. You get the idea.

Why do I love this album. Maturity. It is simply very mature and it just plain ROCKS. I will be honest. There are some of the albums I just couldn't put in and listen through without having to skip some of the songs. (DISCLAIMER: don't ask, I won't tell!!) on "Revelation" there are none. I was SHOCKED. When Mark got the rough mix we got in the car and gave it a go. I think we listened and I said nothing. Now, to a musician this probably is NOT a good sign. I was overwhelmed. Track 1, bam great song, Track 2, wow there's another, Track 3, amazing vocals, on and on and on. Last track so beautifully executed and a great ending. I was floored. I have been an avid listener since the good ole' days when they only had an album out on tape. (Which as a side note Abbie came across the other day and demanded some headphones and a tapedeck to listen to. She seriously wore the thing out in no time. She LOVES it.) Anyway, for the most part if asked I would say that "Time" is my favorite album but buddy not now. We listen to "Revelation" on a daily basis. I love that Howard pushed each and every guy. No hold barred pushed. Made them a little insecure sometimes pushed but look at the outcome. Mac has never sounded better. He hits some stuff I didn't know existed. The guitars are spot on. Not too polished not to sloppy. All the elements came together (no pun intended) and they are just great. I think the guys have really taken a huge step forward!

If you have not gotten the album take if from me (if you want) and get one. You will not be sorry. It really is just a great listen. I know I sound biased but really I don't normally encourage and promote their records like this. I just believe in this one with everything I have. I am very proud of the boys and wish them the best of luck with this record. Now, go, take a listen- tell me what you think.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!! Up until this CD I'd have to say that Time was also my favorite TD album. But I'll never forget the night that I buckled and decided to preorder Revelation 3 months early for the chance to hear it up until the release. I've never been one to buy a CD without knowing at LEAST 3 of the songs...it's just always been a rule of mine. But Third Day has never let me down, so I went for it. First song...wow! Second...wow! Third....yeah you get the idea. And when Take it All came on...I was in tears! Blown away from beginning to end! Incredible! And three months later, on the release date, I had that CD in my player on repeat all day as if I'd never heard it before! Hands down, this IS the BEST album the guys have ever put out!

Hmmmm...I think this has to be the longest comment ever! Hehe...but you DID ask what I thought *wink*

Tracy: said...

You are so right! I couldn't quite explain it when I was encouraging others to buy it...it is one of their best...but REALLY? YES REALLY! TD has some mighty fine releases out there over the years, but this one just has maturity....like Kelly w said above, all the songs..WOW!!!

Emily........ said...

You are SO right Stephanie. This is the best album from our fave band!!
I must say the more I listen to it, the more I love some of the tracks that on first listening I thought were 'OK'. There is a lot of depth to this album, more so than previous albums.
Please pass on our great apreciation to Mark and co for all the hard work that they have so obviously put into this album. It's not been without heartache and tears, but let me say.........It's been worth it!! We look forward to seeing what Third Day have in store for the future.
Bless you Stephanie.

Ashleigh said...

Just like you Stephanie and some others that have commented, Time has been my favorite for years. And Revelation has replaced it!! So glad that I pre-ordered it and I can't wait to see what is in their future! Thanks for being honest with us regarding their music. ;o) I think we all have some songs on albums that we skip over....Have a great day!

Unknown said...

We finally (after hearing great reviews) bought the cd on Saturday night. My boys and I LOVE it! It's only been out of the car cd player long enough to burn it into iTunes for my husband. I have to say I agree - so far no skipping tracks - we just listen to the whole thing over and over - well, except when my son requests Track 1 about 10 times in a row. Thanks for sharing your review, and for sharing your husband with the world - it's a blessing to so many!

Lindy Simpson Jones said...

totally agree!!! I love it and bella loves to listen to "mr mark" play over and over in the car!!! glad I do too! :)

Lauren said...

i completely agree! i have quite a few third day albums (not all of them), but this is probably the first where i listen completely through - no skipping songs or not paying attention to songs that i don't enjoy as much. the whole album just simply rocks!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree. This was the best. My kids love it as well. I really enjoy track numbers 4 & 9.

Take care,
Amy
www.crumbsonmyfloor.com